Xplorer

A realtime editor for the Oberheim Xpander/Matrix-12 [GO TO WEBSITE]

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-03 00:52:52

malgre

Error - 'Not enough sysex data' and other problems

Hi - I am having problems with Xplorer.  When it starts, after the program goes through the 3 initialization steps, I immediately get a popup error window over the program UI: "An unhandled error occured.  The error was:  Not enough sysex data." (see below for contents of error window.)

If I close this window, I can continue to try to use Xplorer - it displays S99 and my Xpander is also on patch S99. 

If I do 'Patch - Next' or 'Previous', usually the same error will popup once, but won't reappear on subsequent Next or Previous commands, *unless* I change the SysEx delay value - then the error will reappear on the next Next or Previous command (also the Xplorer display will  to the correct patch). Throughout Next and Previous commands, the Xpander will switch patches, but the Xplorer UI will not .  [Strangely the 'Go to patch...' dialog seems to always have the correct patch, the one the Xpander is on, properly selected as the initial choice, and closing this dialog causes the Xplorer display to  to the correct patch number.]

If I 'Go to patch...', the Xpander will go to that patch and Xplorer will display the same patch.

If I 'Get all single patches from synth', Xplorer will start retrieving the patches, but will hang at some point over half way in the process (last time it was at 75/100).  If I then press the 'Next Patch' button, I can cause the 'Receiving single patches..' progress to increase by one, and if I do this for the remainder of the progress the process will end and there will be 100 single sysex files in the chosen folder.

These are most of the immediately observable symptoms, I have not tried any of the other functionality as I am hoping these clues are sufficient.  (I have tried an  of sysex delay values from 19ms to 222ms, but don't see any change in behavior.)

*** XPLORER VERSION

***ENVIRONMENT
Mac OS-X 10.10.1
VirtualBox 4.3.20-96996 (with Extension Pack)
Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit) Service Pack 1
Generic USB to MIDI adapter (appears as USB composite device (Microsoft driver 6.1.7601.18328) and USB Midi (Microsoft driver 6.1.7601.18208))

*** ERROR MESSAGE
***[BEGIN ERROR]
An unhandled error occured. The error was: Not enough sysex data.
Please save your work and close the application.

----------------------------------------
DETAILS:
:Not enough sysex data
   at   .(Byte[] )
   at  .(Byte[] )
   at   .   (Object ,    )
   at ..(Object )
**** Exception.GetBaseException:  :Not enough sysex data
   at   .(Byte[] )
   at  .(Byte[] )
   at   .   (Object ,    )
   at ..(Object )
ENVIRONMENT:
Environment.OSVersion: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
Environment.ProcessorCount: 1
SystemInfo.PrimaryMonitorSize: {Width=1614, Height=982}
SystemInfo.MonitorCount: 1

Screen: DISPLAY1
  Primary:True
  BitsPerPixel: 32
  Bounds:
CONFIG:
User configuration file does not exists yet.
MIDI:
Input Midi devices:
USB Midi         (v241.16)

Output Midi devices:
Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth (v1.0)
***[END ERROR]

*** LOG FILE
***[BEGIN LOG]
[3:21:55 PM:498] OFF: Xplorer version: 2012.10.24.1
                           _ooOoo_
                          o8888888o
                          88" . "88
                          (| -_- |)
                          O\  =  /O
                       ____/`---'\____
                     .'  \\|     |//  `.
                    /  \\|||  :  |||//  \
                   /  _||||| -:- |||||_  \
                   |   | \\\  -  /'| |   |
                   | \_|  `\`---'//  |_/ |
                   \  .-\__ `-. -'__/-.  /
                 ___`. .'  /--.--\  `. .'___
              ."" '<  `.___\_<|>_/___.' _> \"".
             | | :  `- \`. ;`. _/; .'/ /  .' ; |
             \  \ `-.   \_\_`. _.'_/_/  -' _.' /
==============`-.`___`-.__\ \___  /__.-'_.'_.-'====================
The only things which do not change are the laws of change (Buddha)
===================================================================
[3:21:55 PM:498] OFF: Logger.TraceLevel is: Off
[3:21:57 PM:421] OFF:   : MainForm size: {Width=1266, Height=841},  scale factor: {Width=1, Height=1}
[3:21:57 PM:421] OFF:   :
Input Midi devices:

Output Midi devices:
Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth (v1.0)
***[END LOG]

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Todd

#2 2015-02-03 23:00:36

obiwan
Administrator

Re: Error - 'Not enough sysex data' and other problems

Hi Todd,

Thanks for your detailed report about this issue.
It seems that the Xpander receive the commands from Xplorer, but for an unknown reason all sysex data sent from the Xpander do not come in time when the data have more than a given size. This could maybe come from the virtualization of the usb/midi ports.
Do the user interface of Xplorer reacts quickly or it is slow ?
Can you please have a try by increasing drastically the delay ? (let say 500 ms).

#3 2015-02-05 00:25:20

malgre

PROBLEM SOLVED.

The solution was to get a different USB-MIDI adapter, one that *does not use the Microsoft driver*! 

I bought the Yamaha UX16, and after plugging it in and installing the driver, Xplorer is working perfectly.  I had been using a generic USB-MIDI cable, that had worked with no problems on my Mac (both as a keyboard interface, and for sysex patch loading and backup with SysEx Librarian), but it turns out that Microsoft's Midi driver mangles sysex data, so that cable didn't work correctly on the Win7 VM.

The key clue to this was reading about the issue on the MIDI-OX discussion board - I installed that software on Win7 to try to test the communication, and I was pretty sure I was seeing that data was being corrupted (data sizes did not look correct), so it made sense to try the recommendation.

So, the lesson is:  do not use any 'generic' USB-MIDI cables that rely on the Microsoft -compliant driver to function, that driver cannot handle sysex messaging.  From what I read, people have had luck with the adapters from Yamaha, Roland, Korg and M-Audio.

Hopefully this can help someone else, and the good news (for me!) is that Xplorer will work on a Mac using VirtualBox.

#4 2015-02-11 00:32:06

obiwan
Administrator

Absolutely brilliant, man smile

Board footer