Xplorer

A realtime editor for the Oberheim Xpander/Matrix-12 [GO TO WEBSITE]

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-05 08:09:00

Firechild

OS X version and Multi Patch support

Hi, this seems to be a very promising application.
However, Multi Patch editing should be very nice to see in a future release, and also native support for OS X.
Right now I am using MIDIquest XL but there is loads of bugs, for example editing the Envelopes doesn´t take effect until you move the corresponding Env Amp level back and forth.
Edit: I was able to go to Panel Edit and change the Envelope knobs from makro to Bulk Transmit which seems to do the trick without drawbacks...

Last edited by Firechild (2012-07-06 09:24:51)

#2 2012-07-05 21:23:17

strl

Re: OS X version and Multi Patch support

In regards to OSX support, today I have been trying to get Xplorer working with OSX using wine, so far I have been unsuccessful (I can get it install, but it hangs at the loading screen). However, I did come across this:

http://mono-project.com/Main_Page

It's a cross platform .NET development enviroment, might be useful if the developer wishes support osx or linux in the future.

#3 2012-07-06 22:55:23

obiwan
Administrator

Hi,

I know about Mono, and already made a successful try to run Xplorer with Mono on OS X. The UI is able to run, but all the MIDI layer would need to be reimplemented (platform specific API). Moreover, since Mono emulates the Windows UI thru X11 on OS X, you get Windows XP stylish windows, not the best looking on OS X, and performance are poor.
As far as Wine is concerned, this is really not the way to go (or maybe some commercial forks of it, but I doubt they support the .NET platform).
For now, using a virtual machine on a Mac is the best solution.

#4 2012-07-17 14:23:34

sambooka

I have been successful using Xplorer with Parallels on a Mac.
I thought I would be able to use a USB MIDI out, but when I tried to install the drivers for it Parallels couldn't find it. (Tascam US-122 MkII)
So then I turned to MIDI over LAN. This worked really well after some headaches setting it up:

http://www.musiclab.com/products/rpl_info.htm

There is another free alternative MIDI over LAN solution you can try - http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/rtpMIDI.html
RTPMIDI basically makes a MIDI Network session for a Windows machine. This comes built in to Macs (in the Audio/Midi setup utilities) I couldn't get the Mac part of this to communicate with Xplorer in Windows, but the Windows side of it seemed to work well. This would be a good solution if you have a Windows laptop with Xplorer on it connected via ethernet to your Mac.

I hope this helps - I've absorbed quite a lot of experience with this through experimentation, so if anyone has questions, please get back to me.

Last edited by sambooka (2012-07-17 14:24:33)

#5 2012-07-17 14:28:49

sambooka

One further thing - I have to say Xplorer is SO much better than the SoundQuest editor. I fought with so many bugs with that software - and that after paying really quite a lot of money for it. Xplorer, by contrast, works well, is reliable and has a gorgeous visual interface to boot!

My Xpander had been sitting there gathering dust because I was too nervous to wear out the knobs and buttons so Xplorer really has been a Godsend to me.

#6 2012-07-25 16:54:04

sambooka

I have an  to the above post.

I thought that Xplorer on Parallels worked, but I noticed some problems. Editing worked fine, but sending whole patches to the Xpander failed as did the randomization.

Faced with having to pay out for MIDIoverLAN after the trial period ended, I decided to buy a touchscreen PC so I could edit properly and I have to say it works really well - no more having to use the mouse for editing and the sending of patches works like a breeze too which I kind of expected (thinking that Parallels and XP on Parallels might be the cause)

An excellent editor!

#7 2012-07-31 21:12:18

obiwan
Administrator

sambooka wrote:

Editing worked fine, but sending whole patches to the Xpander failed as did the randomization.

Hi Sambooka,

Thanks for your feedback about using Xplorer on a MAC using Parallels.
In fact, sending a whole patch and randomization does internally the same thing (Randomization generates a random patch and then send it to the synth). I think the problem is linked to the virtual midi ports settings that are emulated by MIDIOverLAN or rtpMIDI. If the buffer size used for MIDI messages of delay between MIDI messages options are available in these products, try increasing them,  It could be a way to solve the problem (for example "Send quantization time" in MIDIOverLAN).

Alternatively, increasing the MIDI Delay in the Xplorer settings may help too.

#8 2012-09-01 17:17:13

synth.punk

Would also purchase if mac native or Ipad version was made available. Random patch must be crazy with this synth! Thanks-Rev

Last edited by synth.punk (2012-09-01 17:18:10)

#9 2013-03-22 22:35:57

orangefunk

Just wondering if there were any  regarding MULTIPATCH mode support?

Love the software... would be wonderful to see it on OSX but MULTI mode is where its lacking I think.

#10 2013-03-23 22:57:45

obiwan
Administrator

MultiPatch implementation differs a lot between M-12 and Xpander. Since I did not own a Matrix-12, the test and/or debugging process would be long and tedious.
The next features of Xplorer will be more sound design focused:
- better randomizer support
- Matrix-6/6R/1000 Sysex import
- 2D graphical visualization of a single patch

Native OSX support is not planned yet, sorry.

#11 2013-03-31 21:53:55

orangefunk

Thanks for the reply.  I now understand the difficulty...

OSX isn't really a problem... it works great as it is from Windows and when I use coherence mode (of Parallels) it looks like it's part of the same OS anyway.

Great that you are going to implement new features.. I would suggest maybe some kind of randomiser based around themes e.g. pads, leads, , and so on as well as the more weird and wonderful.

#12 2013-04-06 21:22:08

obiwan
Administrator

Thanks for the reply.  I now understand the difficulty...

OSX isn't really a problem... it works great as it is from Windows and when I use coherence mode (of Parallels) it looks like it's part of the same OS anyway.

orangefunk wrote:

Great that you are going to implement new features.. I would suggest maybe some kind of randomiser based around themes e.g. pads, leads, , and so on as well as the more weird and wonderful.

this was exactly what I was thinking to do for envelopes: percussive, organ like, string like,etc....
could do the same for VCOs (same notes ,octave, fifth,etc...) and lfos...

Board footer